Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Radio Show Tuesday, May 29 6-9PM

Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later, Alligator
The Records - Starry Eyes
Aretha Franklin - You Send Me
Autumn Shade - Home
Future Bible Hereos - Real Summer
East River Pipe - Hey, Where's Your Girl?
Dinah Washington - I've Got You Under My Skin
Devon Sproule - Let's Go Out
The Smiths - Sheila, Take A Bow
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
REM - Gardening At Night
Carmen Miranda - Cuanto La Gusta
Rose Melberg - Mr. Spaceman

Last night's show was fun. I wasn't a very attentive dj and just threw things on. But I got a handful of phone calls from people loving my show which is really weird since nobody ever calls when I'm on the air. (Or maybe I do get calls and just never pay attention to the little light blinking telling me that the phone is ringing.)

When I was in middle school and high school, I didn't listen to music that much. I was definitely NOT musically obsessed like I am now. But I did have a record player in my bedroom and I would listen to lots of my parents' albums. I vividly remember listening to the Supremes Greatest Hits while getting ready for church. The Supremes always remind me of badly-fitting panty hose. I also remember listening to Aretha's Gold. There was one song on that record that I would listen to over and over... a cover of Sam Cooke's hit, "You Send Me."

I had never heard the Sam Cooke version (or Sam Cooke for that matter) until I met Tina in 1994. She was a big music fan and introduced me to ALOT of music over the years including Sam Cooke. She was a dj at WXYC, too, and sometimes we would tag-team dj together. We'd squeal and dance to the Flying Burrito Brothers and Yma Sumac and to anything with crazy yodeling. Most of the time, she couldn't do a talk set if I was in the control room or else she would just bust out laughing and couldn't get any words out. It was silly and fun and listeners didn't seem to mind since we were playing fun music. I remember performing a spontaneous song-and- dance interpretation of "Cuanto La Gusta" one night at the bar in 506 for our favorite record store employee... I sang the Carmen parts and she sang the Andrews Sisters parts.

Tina moved to Greece a few years ago which makes me sad. I want her to come home. When Tina left, she got rid of all of her music. She sold it or gave it away. It's hard for me to understand how someone can love music as much as she did and then just suddenly stop and get rid of it all. She left her Sam Cooke's Greatest Hits CD at the wine distributor where we briefly shared a job. The warehouse guys would play it every now and then. When I heard Sam Cooke's voice echoing from the warehouse, I'd always think of Tina.

If Tina had been up at the radio station last night, I am sure that there would have been lots of squealing and singing and dancing and to "See You Later, Alligator" and to "Starry Eyes." And she would've brought me and Bill chocolate. She always had really good chocolate. Greece can't be all that great. She's gonna come back home, right?

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

I agree 100% about not understanding how someone who loves music can give away their albums.

I once sold a cassette to some used record store -- for either $1 or $2. A few years later, realized I missed it and had to buy it back, at a premium.

From that, I realized that I should NEVER sell any of my albums, because I'd be sure to miss at least some of them -- and I wouldn't know ahead of time which one it would be.


--GG

Charlotte said...

Well, I have purged my CD collection many times over the years... I find myself buying alot of music that I have never heard before and it's very hit or miss. But my friend purged her *entire* collection. All of it. Music just wasn't a part of her life anymore. It was heartbreaking.

I haven't purged any CDs in awhile and my cabinet is getting overloaded. I might need to move some to a new space.