Monday, April 30, 2007

RIP Bobby "Boris" Pickett

I was saddened to receive the news this weekend that Bobby "Boris" Pickett died last Wednesday from leukemia. I don't know much about him except that he wrote and performed one of my all-time favorite songs, "The Monster Mash."

This song always makes me sooooooo happy. I really love it and find that I usually have to fight myself to not play it every week on my radio show. I introduced the Badgers, of Brooklyn, NY, to the song. Inspired by Mr. Pickett's graveyard smash, the Badgers recorded an entire album of spooky songs and even made a video of the track "At the Creepy Dolphin." I remember begging Christa on more than one occasion to let me play "Monster Mash" on her radio show, Divaville. Sometimes, although reluctantly, she'd give in.

Speaking of radio shows, no more for me for awhile. I must let my foot heal and it seems that the only way to do this is by sitting still and keeping it elevated. I hope that I'll be able to get better before WXYC's summer schedule begins. Otherwise, it'll be fall before I am back on the air.

But I am not too down about that today because I GOT NEIL SEDAKA AND CHOCOLATE IN THE MAIL!!! Whoopee!! The chocolate is from my all-time favorite chocolatier, Jacques Torres. Woo hoo!!! And doesn't everybody dream of finding Neil Sedaka's Definitive Collection in his/her mailbox?!? I can scratch that dream off my list. (Thanks Fenna!)

No comments: