Sunday, September 30, 2007

Radio Show Friday, September 28 8-10AM

Regina Hexaphone - The Forty-Niner
Jonny Polonsky - Evil Scurvy Love
Bongwater - David Bowie Wants Ideas
Brenton Wood - Gimme Little Sign
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone
Bishop Allen - Butterfly Nets
The Tourist - The Ol' Ball & Chain
Spencer Davis Group - I'm A Man
Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite
The Replacements - Alex Chilton
Bongos, Bass and Bob - Thorazine Shuffle
Paul Simon - Me and Julio Down By the School Yard
Two Dollar Pistols - Stranger Things Have Happened

A friend suggested that I listen to "David Bowie Wants Ideas" as I would get a kick out of the last line of the song. He was right. I haven't thought about Bongwater or Ann Magnuson in years. I might try some more of their stuff when I am up at the station next.

When I was searching for the Bongwater LP, I ran across another record in the "BO" section of the library. Bongos, Bass, and Bob!! I have a cassette of my very first radio show ever from June 1989 at WSOE - Elon College/Burlington where I played a song by Bongos, Bass and Bob called "The Thorazine Shuffle." That song just cracks me up. I was so happy to discover it in WXYC's stacks. That just made my day.

On Wednesday night after the Sea and Cake show at the Cradle, Bill and I wandered down to OCSC. A song came on that I liked and Bill pointed out that it was the Replacements. I never thought I liked them as I thought that were dissonant rockers... but I think I was getting them confused with the Residents. I keep hearing Replacements songs in random places. Perhaps I need to explore some Replacement albums. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

If you are looking for a sweet contemporary ukulele song, I suggest Bishop Allen's "Butterfly Nets." It was sooooo pretty. I don't know who they are or where they're from, but that song is just really nice especially with the uke. When the saxophone kicks in, it makes me think of Bernadette Peters and Steve Martin in The Jerk (although she played trumpet instead of sax).

I am very excited to see that Regina Hexaphone have a record out called Into Your Sleeping Heart. Sara Bell's voice is so endearing. I haven't gotten this record yet, but it's on my list. I need to go to the record store soon.

My entire playlist can be found here.

1 comment:

rossi said...

My (recent ex-)rommate, Eric, is a big Replacements fan, and he's not into dissonance. He's all about songs.