Saturday, June 9, 2007

Radio Show, Tuesday June 5 6-9PM

Frederick Knight - I've Been Lonely For So Long
Silicon Teens - Let's Dance
Clientele - Winter on Victoria Street
Bobby Darin - Lonely Road
Elvis Costello - Radio, Radio
Dinah Washington - What A Difference A Day Makes
Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open the Door
Velvet Underground - I Found A Reason
Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time In the West
Billy Bragg & Wilco - California Stars
Ella Fitzgerald - You Do Something To Me
Tito Puente - Ran Kan Kan
Ernie Kovacs - Hot Cakes and Sausage
Brigitte Bardot - Moi Je Joue

I think that I could play Wilco every week on the radio. And why shouldn't I? I love them.

Cole Porter. Cole Porter. I've had "You Do Something To Me" on the brain for a couple days. It makes me very happy. I wanted to play it on the air on Tuesday, but I couldn't think of any version except for Ella's during the 45 seconds I had before the song playing on the air ended. The Ella songbooks are easy to find, so I played her version. Eh. I wish I had taken the time to find a version with a little more gusto. Lately, I've found some of Ella's songbooks a bit schmaltzy. But her Cole Porter songbook was my gateway into the world of vocalists and tin pan alley songwriters.

"Lonely Road" by Bobby Darin is one of my all-time favorite songs. I absolutely love Bobby Darin. Before I ever bought a CD player, my Bobby Darin obsession led me to purchase a his 4-CD box set. I'm crazy for the man. If I were ever brave enough to do karaoke, I would want to sing Bobby Darin songs all night long. Especially "Lonely Road." I used to sing it to my cat, who really didn't care one way or another about the song or Bobby Darin as long as she got a treat at the end of the song. He'd probably do a kick-ass version of "You Do Something To Me." And his hit, "Beyond the Sea" makes me weak in the knees. I think that if someone sang that song to me while playing the ukulele, I think I would melt.

I'm working on a new mix tape, and I think that Tito Puente's Ran Kan Kan from the Mambo Kings soundtrack is going to be the impetus. GO TITO!

The rest of Tuesday's playlist can be found here. I love my radio show.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...

Yay! The Silicon Teens get airplay!

Their cover of Chuck Berry's "Memphis Tenn." is pretty good. ;) Also "Doo-Wah-Diddy." ;)


--GG