Sunday, June 24, 2007

Radio Show, Tuesday June 19 6-9PM

Ethel Merman - Heat Wave
We All Have Hooks For Hands - Jumpin Jean-Luc
The Shangri-Las - The Dum Dum Ditty
Versus - Shangri-La
Les Paul - Chicken Reel
Jens Lekman - A Man Walks Into A Bar
Bowerbirds - Human Hands
Don Lennon - Young People Need Guidance
Louis Prima - Oh Marie
Lonnie Donegan & His Skiffle Group - Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight)
Cripple Lilies - Bella of the Rocks
Sugarplum Fairies - Not Smart At All
Little Willie John - Leave My Kitten Alone
Richard Hawley - Just Like the Rain
Annie Hayden - Swingin Party

I don't know what's happened to WXYC's Music Directors, but whatever it is, I like it. The MDs must've all fallen in love at the same time a couple weeks agoor something, because the music in rotation (the required hourly tracks that all DJs must play) is really wonderful: lots of pretty melodic pop music. Just this week, I discovered We All Have Hooks For Hands, the Sugerplum Faires and the Cripple Lillies, all of which are in rotation. My new favorite local band, the Bower Birds, have something in rotation. Two months ago, I dreaded playing the required cuts, because I felt like it was all noisy, scronky, dissonant stuff. But lately our rotation has introduced me to lots of new stuff that I love like Autumn Shade and Loney, Dear. Go Music Directors!!!!

So, I find myself thinking about Ethel Merman's voice kinda frequently these days. Doesn't everyone? Years ago, I couldn't stand the sound of her voice, but she's grown on me and now, I think I love her. It' s fun to sing along and imitate her. Try it sometime. And look at her with the Muppets! I don't remember seeing that episode... I'll have to put it in my Netflix queue. BTW, if you would like to hear Ethel Merman this afternoon, tune into Divaville on WXDU from 3-5PM.

Last week, Christa sent me a link to a Louis Prima performance which we discussed at length the hilarity of Keely Smith. Just check out the expression on her face. You can hear Louis Prima today on Divaville, too.

The entire playlist for last Tuesday's show can be found here.

2 comments:

Gye Greene said...

Ethel Merman's voice: Liking stuff you didn't used to like -- jazz music, brocolli -- is a sign a maturing.

Or aging. :)


--GG

Charlotte said...

I just watched the Muppet Show episode with Ethel Merman. She was great. There was alot of hitting. My friends, Lee and Ewald, now better understand my delight in her voice.