Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Nighttime Is the Right Time for Playtime


Today was another rough day at work, but I ploughed through. Sara called and invited me over after work. She said that a friend recommended a French film to her and she ordered it off Netflix. It arrived yesterday and she asked if I wanted to see it. She walked away from the phone to find the name of the movie, and it was Playtime! Woo hoo!!!!

I was introduced to the world of Jacque Tati films a few years ago and I immediately fell in love. My first Tati film was Mon Oncle, which is an amazing film in its own right and features Mr. Hulot... this big lanky awkward guy that anyone would love to have as an uncle. Playtime features Mr. Hulot as well... ten years later. This film is beautiful and crazy and captivating and did I mention beautiful? When it initally came out, it was not highly regarded by its critics, but today is considered a masterpiece. Tati constructed three entire city blocks of beautful 1960's modern architecture. And Tati's play with sound and reflections is just absolutely mesmerizing. I highly recommend it and I am so excited to watch it again for the umpteenth time.

I used to have the soundtrack to Playtime on a burned CD somewhere. I wonder where that is. I might need to play some Tati film music this Friday at WXYC.

In the meantime, Sara and Playtime will have to wait for me to take out the trash. Bleah.

No comments: