Thursday, August 30, 2007

Last Supper of Summer

Today felt like the last day of summer for many reasons:
1. It's the second to last day of watermelon milkshakes at Cook-Out.
2. Summer tomatoes are getting fewer and greener.
3. I really feel the shrinking daylight hours.
4. School's back in and students are everywhere.
5. I have this great urge to shop for jackets.
6. It's Labor Day weekend which means it's almost September (which reminds me of the Earth, Wind, & Fire song).
7. It's only 90 degrees outside instead of 105.
8. My fall semester radio show starts tomorrow morning.
9. Starting next Tuesday, I'll no longer be able to wear my white shoes, according to the fashion rules.

Since I was feeling like summer was coming to a close, I decided to celebrate with my last meal of summer: two barbecue sandwiches featuring the meat we brought back from our trip last weekend (one on the left has barbecue and slaw from Bill's & one on the right has barbecue and slaw from McCall's), a sliced summer tomato with cottage cheese (which is how my mom adorned tomatoes growing up), hushpuppies from Cook-Out, and the watermelon milkshake. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to eat all this food. I finished only 2/3s of each sandwich and only one hushpuppy. (Stick to the cheddar burger and milkshakes at Cook-Out, as the hushpuppies aren't their strong point.) But I did finish that tomato. Yum!

Although summer is over, I'm really excited about the fall. Trips to Calistoga and Sicily. A slew of weddings and a baby shower. Lots of rock shows. And I just finished the audit at work. This fall is going to be great.

I can hear Maurice White, now:

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.

As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

Ba de ya - say do you remember

Ba de ya - dancing in september

Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

1 comment:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Summer's not over until late September (20th or 21st). Relax and enjoy.