Sunday, October 14, 2007

Radio Show Friday, October 12 8-10AM

The Ramones - Pet Sematary
Belle and Sebastian - Ease Your Feet Into the Sea
The Smiths - The Boy With a Thorn In His Side
Iron and Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth
Bobby "Boris" Pickett & the Crypt Kickers - Monster Mash
Crooked Fingers - Don't Say A Word
Badfinger - Baby Blue
The Bats - Empty Head
Chris Isaak - Don't Leave Me On My Own
Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses)
Kay Starr - The Headless Horseman
Bobbie Gentry - Fancy

Halloween is fast approaching. Although I am not a big fan of the holiday, I do love some seasonal songs, such as the Ramones' "Pet Sematary," and Kay Starr's "Headless Horseman." Oh my gosh, this Ramone's video is really funny to watch. They must've had a blast making this:

My absolute favorite Halloween song (shucks, it's on my top ten of all-time favorite songs) is Bobby "Boris" Pickett's "Monster Mash." Whenever I hear it, I get this urge to dance like a dork. That song has been on continuous play at more than one point in my life. It is great.

Iron and Wine's new record, The Shepherd's Dog, is out. It is really a great record. I've been listening to it alot this week. The vocal harmonies make me melt. (Is Sam Beam just singing with himself?) And I find myself entranced by the percussion.... which is very much in the foreground, but not too overpowering. Iron and Wine make the most beautifully intimate music. This record is not as sparse as his earlier efforts, but the added instruments do not distract from its powerful subtlety. I look forward to listening to this record alot more.

So, that was my last radio show until I return from Sicily. My entire playlist can be found here.

Recommended listening while I am away from the station: Fleetwood Mac, the Smiths, Richard Hawley (duh), Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Slim Gaillard, the Shout Out Louds, and the Great Lake Swimmers.

1 comment:

Gye Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.