Sunday, January 13, 2008

Weekend of Lessons

As DJ Lance Rock might say, learning is awesome!!! This weekend, I had two lessons: uke and bowling. The music lesson was fascinating. I remember very little from my piano lessons when I was little. Even so, Mrs. Alexander never taught me anything about chord theory or the cycle of fifths. All I can remember from those days is eating peppermints in her living room. (Sorry if you wasted your money on me, Mom.) I still have a long way to go, but I am finally understanding the relationship of notes on a scale and finding that scale on the uke. Lots of little lightbulbs were going off on Saturday. My goal right now is to work out the introduction to Rosanne Cash's "Seven Year Ache." After my lesson, I got about halfway there.

Today, I went out to Village Lanes to have my first bowling lesson with Larry. Larry is in a league with my hero, Mr. Perkins. He averages in the 220s and has been teaching bowling for years. He had a little notebook and a instruction manual and was extremely enthusiastic. After just 15 minutes, I increased my score by 20 points. And no more straight rolling. I can roll with a curve, baby!! Gutterglory is going to be so impressed. I wanted to stay after my lesson and bowl, but I ripped myself out of there after three games. Larry and his brother were really impressed with the progress that I had made. Next week, he is going to show me the math and the geometry of positioning in regard to picking up spares.

These lessons definitely lifted me out of my funk from last week

I found this video today and I like it alot. She's not playing a soprano banjo uke like I do, but she's inspirational nonetheless. This song is actually gorgeous.

4 comments:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Oh yeah, Mercedezzz rocks!

And she's soooo perty! (I have a bad schoolboy crush on her. This is especially sad coming from a nearly 50-year-old man.)

You want to see some more great use of the banjo uke? Check out Les Chauds Lapins (if you haven't already).

Ooh la la!

Charlotte said...

I love the Les Chauds Lapins! We have their cd at the radio station. I love that she uses a soprano banjo uke!

I don't know the woman playing in the video... Mercedes? Mercedes who? She is quite the looker. And her strumming is beautiful.

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Not Mercedes, Mercedezzz.

Be sure to check out Pimentas e O Menino e a Pipa. No ukulele but it does have the ping pong percussion.

Enjoy!

HH

Charlotte said...

WOW! That is totally amazing!!!! Ping-pong percussion. Maybe that is what my ukulele band needs!